Although your roof can leak any season, wintertime poses the greatest risk. Flat commercial roofs are at an equally high risk for leaks as residential ones — but their extra-large size can lead to extra-large bills. Recognizing the roof leak signs on a flat roof is an important skill to have for any business manager or facility manager.
Recognizing the tell-tale signs of a flat roof leak early helps you get the repairs you need before it’s too late, saving you money.
The Main Roof Leak Signs
At J. Smucker Contracting we’re your commercial roofing expert. We’ve diagnosed and fixed countless roof leaks — now we’re passing our skills onto you. Here are the main roof leak signs you can look for inside and outside:
- Water Spots — Discolored spots on your ceiling are a clear interior sign of water damage. On the top floor of your building, these water spots are a sign of water damage you CAN’T afford to ignore. If you see spots on the inside, get expert eyes on your flat roof ASAP.
- Interior Walls Bubbling — Another sign of a flat roof leak, bubbling in your walls is caused by water leaking from your roof and seeping into the walls. This sign often comes along with those ceiling water spots you’ll see and can actually take years to show up.
- Low Spot Surrounded by Dirt on Roof Surface — Unless there is a massive hole in your roof, you aren’t guaranteed to see the external evidence of a leak. However, if you happen to see a low spot on the roof surface surrounded by a dirt ring, that is an early and subtle sign of flat roof damage. Being on your roof is also a chance to check for more obvious damage such as rips in the rubber membrane. If you see any rips, you’ll know your roof needs some help. Learn about the other signs of flat roof damage you can find.
- Mold Growth — The crucial ingredient for mold is water. So, if you find unexplained mold growth throughout your commercial building — particularly in the attic — that’s a sign that you’re dealing with early signs of water damage. When looking for interior signs of roof damage, this is one you can’t ignore.
- Water Dripping from the Ceiling — The last and most obvious sign of a roof leak. If you see water leaking from the ceiling after a rain or snowstorm, you KNOW you have a flat roof leak. While putting down buckets to catch the falling water might keep your floor safe, all of the leaking water is wreaking havoc on your roof structure. Water creates rot and mold throughout the all-important sub-roof structure. If that damage is left unchecked for too long, a full roof replacement will be your only option.
Flat Roof Leak Repair from J. Smucker Contracting
If you recognize one or more of these roof leak signs, don’t panic. Depending on the severity of the leak, and how quickly you find it, basic repairs can be a quick yet complete fix. The worst thing you can do is put off having a roofing expert take a look at your flat roof leak. This allows the roof leak to get worse — and allows the infiltration of water to spread unabated.
At J. Smucker Contracting we offer a full suite of roof repair and roof restoration options, designed to leave damaged roofs better than new. In addition, we also offer flat rate pricing of $795 which covers most single day repair jobs.
Learn more about our flat rate pricing for common roof issues.
Not Sure if You Have a Flat Roof Leak?
Since winter pushes commercial roofs to their limit, ensuring your roof is in good shape before winter is a smart play. If you think your roof is leaking, don’t delay.
While some signs of a roof leak are EXTREMELY obvious — like water pouring from the ceiling — others are less clear. If you’re not certain whether or not your roof is leaking, bring the expert roof inspectors of J. Smucker Contracting out for a commercial roof inspection. In fact, some roofs of a certain age may qualify for a FREE comprehensive roof inspection.
Contact us to schedule your roof inspection now.