5 Reasons Why Solar Panels for Businesses Make So Much Sense
Like most smart business owners, you don’t just make money in one way — you keep your eyes open for opportunities and make use of idle assets to make investments that pay dividends for decades. Solar panels for your business can help you save money in the short-term and can dramatically cut your energy costs for decades. Discover our top 5 reasons for installing solar panels on your business’s flat roof — and contact us today for your free quote!
Why to Install Solar Panels on Your Flat Roof
Here are the 5 main reasons why solar panels on a flat roof make so much practical sense — and why you should consider installing a solar panel system this year:
- Take Advantage of Ample Unused Space — The roof on your building is the perfect space to place a set of solar panels. Not only is your roof large enough to accommodate a large array, but the space isn’t being used for anything else. The way most business owners see it, a flat roof is an asset you haven’t capitalized on yet.
- 30% Federal Tax Credit — Until the end of 2019, when your business installs a solar panel system, you can deduct up to 30% of the cost from your federal taxes. This aggressive incentive is meant to encourage more businesses than ever to install solar panels on their roofs. This policy may not be renewed in 2020, so act now!
- Offset Energy Costs & Make Passive Income — One of the main reasons solar panels for a business make so much sense is that they help you defer energy costs — and potentially make passive income. While it depends on the size of your project, many businesses report solar panels paying for themselves in less than 10 years. Whether the solar panels serve to drastically cut energy costs or even earn you a decent passive income, there’s plenty of incentive to installing them.
- Promote Your Eco-Conscious Brand — As a business owner, you always want to find ways to differentiate yourself from the competition. With the new focus on eco-friendly business, highlighting the solar panels on your roof can be a great tool to emphasize your differences and your commitment to the environment.
- Save on Necessary Roof Work When You Bundle Services — At J. Smucker Contracting, we often encourage companies to pair roof restoration with installing solar panels on their business’s roof. Not only does the 30% federal tax credit ALSO extend to the eco-friendly roof work, but pairing these services together can make owning the solar panels far less maintenance intensive.
Why to Combine Solar Panel Installation and Roof Work
Installing solar panels on your roof provides numerous short-term and long-term business benefits. However, we strongly recommend that you install the solar array during other large-scale roof work. Not only can you include the cost of the roof restoration in the 30% federal tax credit, but it makes maintaining the roof more convenient.
Since a new or a restored roof has a similar lifespan and maintenance requirements to that of the solar array, you can keep both of these large projects on the same maintenance schedule by installing them at the same time.
Having a solar panel installed on your flat roof can make it very challenging to perform necessary roof repairs, as the panels occupy much of the roof surface. For example, if your roof began leaking and required full-scale roof restoration or replacement, you’d need to have all of the solar panels removed from the roof before the work could begin. This would drastically increase the costs associated with that roofing work — this is really the only common setback that can cause you to lose money with solar installation. However, if you have a new roof installed at the same time as the solar panels, you can feel confident that you won’t need to replace your roof anytime soon.
J. Smucker Contracting for Your Flat Roofing Needs
If you’re thinking about installing solar panels for your business or you want to learn more about roof repair or restoration, J. Smucker Contracting is the team to trust. We perform all of the commercial roofing work that businesses need on flat roofs of all sizes.
We encourage you to reach out today to learn more about the benefits of bringing solar panels to a flat roof. Remember, you have until the end of 2019 to take advantage of the 30% federal tax credit on solar panel installation AND green roof restoration. Contact us to get started today — and for your FREE quote!