Flat or low-slope commercial roofs need frequent monitoring and maintenance to prevent issues. Knowing the problems your roof can have is the first step in implementing a proper maintenance plan. Preventative maintenance can extend the overall life of your roof and save you money in the long run. The list of issues that plague commercial roofs is extensive but understanding the problems can help you care for your business’ building.
- Roof leaks and moisture – No matter what type of roof your building has, if it has a hole, you have a problem. 95% of leaks occur in the flashing, the areas where the membrane is stopped or interrupted. Areas around ducts or skylights are especially susceptible to leaks.
- Blow-offs and tenting – Mother Nature can be cruel, especially to a roof. Wind can detach roofing material at the seams and create the tenting of material or complete removal of the material.
- Poor workmanship – With many varied materials, preparation is essential for quality installation. Making sure your contractor is reputable, like J. Smucker Contracting, will ensure this isn’t an issue.
- Lack of maintenance – Many problems can be fixed quickly if caught early. When left to the elements, the issues will become exacerbated. Even without a professional contractor, many issues can be identified with an untrained eye.
- Ponding water – Flat roofs are especially at risk for pooling water. Water that sits on a roof is often due to poor drainage. Understanding why you have standing water is essential to fixing the problem.
- Punctures and penetrations – Walking on roofing, especially single-ply or SPF, can cause damage, including leaks. If you have HVAC units on your roof take the additional time to add a walkway to prevent this.
- Improper repairs – Having a professional address these issues promptly is essential. Addressing the problem yourself could create a more significant problem. Only use a trusted roofing company, such as J. Smucker Contracting.
- Blistering – Found in BUR or spray polyurethane foam roofing, this is caused during the application process. Ensure quality installation by choosing the right contractor.
Our coating will add a layer of protection over holes or punctures which will prevent leaks from occurring. Commercial roofs take the brunt of nature, and it is essential to manage their upkeep to protect your investment and your building’s interior. While there’s no fool-proof way to keep your roof from having any of these problems, looking for these issues can help prevent more extensive complications from arising. If you spot any of these issues, call J. Smucker Contracting so we can fix it before it becomes a more significant problem.