The roof you put on your business makes a difference. A quality flat roof doesn’t leak, can reduce your energy bills, and lasts a LONG time before needing major work. When you need a new roof, you want to choose correctly — that’s why we’re breaking down the two most common flat roofs: TPO roofing vs. EPDM.
TPO and EPDM flat roofs are common choices for businesses, and that’s no accident. Both materials of these membrane roofing systems can provide more than a decade of strong performance at a fair price point, so at J. Smucker Contracting, we install both. Since we have experience with both TPO roofing and EPDM roofing, we’ll break down the benefits of each!
Membrane Roofing Systems Compared
Both TPO roofing and EPDM are flat membrane roofing systems that see use on various commercial buildings of different sizes. Once again, both of these options are good, modern solutions, and we install, restore, and repair both.
When comparing TPO roofing vs. EPDM roofing, you need to decide which is right for your building and business. We break these two roof types down for you.
TPO roofing is a single membrane roofing system that is quick and fairly inexpensive to apply, yet provides a series of crucial benefits. Here’s what to know about TPO roofing systems:
- Reflective white color — This white coating is designed to reflect the rays of the sun, keeping your building cooler and cutting your energy costs. Learn more about adding solar to your roof.
- TPO is less susceptible to leaks — Since TPO roofs don’t have big seams like EPDM roofs, this makes them less vulnerable to water leaks as they age.
- TPO can be slightly cheaper than EPDM — Comparing standard TPO roofing vs. EPDM roofing, the price is fairly comparable. However, in some cases, TPO can be slightly less expensive.
- TPO becomes brittle and cracks — The major criticism of TPO roofs is that as they age, they become less flexible and can actually crack open. This is the main factor that limits their lifespan.
EPDM roofing is a rubber roofing material that is rolled onto the roof in large sheets. This single-ply roof membrane has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Here’s what to keep in mind:
- EPDM roofing has a longer lifespan than TPO — While the pricing between the two membrane roofing systems is comparable, EPDM roofs generally have a longer lifespan.
- EPDM roofs are easy to repair and restore — One of the most common roof types on the market, EPDM roofs are a natural fit for our highly-effective Conklin roof replacement systems.
- EPDM is more susceptible to leaks — The seams between rolls of EPDM rubber are some of the most common places to see moisture leakage. This is one of the main weaknesses of this roof type.
- Doesn’t help with energy efficiency — EPDM roofs are black which means they do nothing to reflect the sun. Therefore, they do not save you money on your energy bills.
Both of these flat membrane roofing systems can provide you reliable performance at a fair price. If you still want help distinguishing between them, contact us for a consultation.
Introducing: Conklin OUTPOST TPO
Beginning July 1st 2019, select Conklin Roofing partners will begin offering the next generation of TPO roofing. J. Smucker is one of the preferred partners who will begin making the Conklin OUTPOST TPO system available immediately.
OUTPOST is the first TPO roof Conklin has offered — and this cutting-edge roofing system is designed to maximize the practical benefits of traditional TPO while minimizing the downsides. We’re excited to be one of the first companies nationwide to bring this solution to business owners! Call us today to bring this innovative system to your building.
Free TPO Roofing & EPDM Roofing Quotes
Whether you know the membrane roof system you need or you’re still deciding between TPO roofing vs. EPDM, J. Smucker Contracting is the team to trust. We have years of experience helping business owners and facility managers match the right roof to their building and budget.
In addition, we make FREE commercial roof inspections available to help you know what your roof really needs. Contact us to request a roof inspection — or to get a free quote on the BRAND NEW Conklin TPO roof!