Commercial roofs are expected and designed for long-term usage. However, many problems can still develop throughout their lifespan. Often, these problems can be traced back to lack of maintenance, improper installation, or design flaws. If you’re trying to decide what the best option is for your flawed roof, you can either: recoat, repair, replace, or recover it.
Here are options and benefits to help determine the best path to take for your commercial roofing needs:
Re-coat: Many commercial roofs can be coated to extend their life. Here at J. Smucker, we provide 4 different coatings: membrane systems, fabric reinforced, foam and elastomeric, and metal roof restorations.
Reasons to coat your roof:
- Protection from leaks
- Prolongs the life of the roof
- Reflective coatings help to reflect heat and UV rays away from the building, saving you energy costs
- Improves comfort, and aesthetics by keeping the building cooler
- Less disruptive than a full replacement
- Cost effective
Repair: Complete roof replacement is costly and is generally a longer project to complete. Our commercial roof repair services are guaranteed to fix any damages or inefficiencies related to your current roof while lowering your energy costs.
Reasons you may choose to repair your roof:
- There are still many years of life left in your roof
- You want a low-cost solution
- The roof has good insulation
- The problem is minor
- Extends the life of the roof
Replace: If the damage on your roof is too extensive, we may recommend a full replacement.
Reasons to replace a roof:
- 25% or more of the roof is damaged
- Insulation is wet or damaged
- You’re looking for something new and advanced that will last a lifetime
- Low maintenance
- Energy savings
Recover: If a roof only has one membrane, you can typically add one more on top. However, you may only recover a roof one time. After that it is time for a replacement.
Reasons to recover a roof:
- It’s cheaper than a full replacement
- Less disruptive
- Less risk of a roof being exposed to the elements
- New, extended warranties are available